The Big Boys Curry Book
Apple And Potato Bhajee
I found this recipe from a book I bought at the Cafe Spice restaurant in London. The restaurant is one of my favourites and the book, 'Cafe Spice Namaste' by Cyrus Todiwala, the restaurant's founding chef is worth looking out for interesting Nouvelle Indian dishes. This one is certainly different and very refreshing with a rich meat dish such as Champ Masala.
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 10 fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed, roasted and lightly crushed
- 2 green chillis chopped
- 4-5 whole spring onions sliced thinly lengthwise
- 2 potatoes, boiled and cubed (2cm)
- 3 cooking apples (sweet variety) cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 lg tomato, deseeded and chopped.
- Sugar and lemon juice
- 1 tbspn chopped resh coriander
- 2 oz chopped blanched french beans.
- Heat oil until hot and fry fenugreek seed for 10 seconds.
- Add mustard and fry til crackling.
- Add cumin and coriander seed and saute gently for about 1.5 minutes. Do not burn.
- Add chillies and saute for 1 minute.
- Add spring onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add potato and apple and toss until mixed then add tomato. Cook 2-3 minutes tossing gently occasionally.
- Add beans and mix.
- When apple has softened slightly add suger, lemon and salt to taste. Sprinkle corander, toss and serve immediately.