The Big Boys Curry Book
Choley Pindi, Punjabi chick pea curry
This traditional Punjabi recipe is a real treat to accompany a hot meat dish or can be eaten on its own with some nan or parathas. This will serve 4 as a side dish or two for a main course. If you can get them, pomegranite seeds, gently roasted and ground will just add a piquant edge to this dish. Do not worry if cannot get them, it's still good.
- 400g can of chick peas
- 2 tspn. white cummin, crushed lightly.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil.
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed.
- 2 cm piece ginger, crushed.
- 3 green chillies, slit.
- 2 chopped tomatoes.
- 4 tbsp. thick yoghurt.
- 1 tsp. Chat Masala.
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tbsp. pomegranite seed, gently roasted and ground. (Optional)
- Gently saute cummin in hot oil for a minute.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chillies and cook until onion is tender.
- Reduce heat and add tomatoes, yoghurt and chick peas. Bring back to simmering, stirring gently.
- Add Chat Masala (or a squeeze of lemon juice as an alternative), fresh coriander and salt to taste.
- Remove to serving bowl and sprinkle pomegranite powder over.