The Big Boys Curry Book
Mirch Gosht, Chilli Lamb.
A hot, sweet and sour barbecue flavour lamb dish owing much of its flavour to the use of soy sauce. This is traditionally thought of as a Chinese ingredient, and so it is, but the huge trade between the Indian subcontinent and China over the years has led to a cross fertilisation of ideas and food ingredients. Soy is quite popular in daily home cooking as a result. Again quantities are barbecue sized.You will need skewers for this recipe
- 2lb diced lamb
- Green pepper
- Lemon wedges
- 2 1/2oz garlic
- 2 1/2oz fresh ginger
- green chillies
- 3 tbspn soy sauce
- 1 tspn salt
- 2 tspn red chilli powder
- 2 tbspn tomato puree
- 1/2 tspn Red food colouring (optional)
- 3 tbspn Lemon juice
- 1 tbspn Jaggery, brown sugar, or white sugar in order of preference
- Liquidise all the marinade ingredients and place into non metallic bowl
- Add Lamb, mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Cut pepper and onions into chunks.
- Thread alternate pieces of lamb, pepper, lamb, onion onto a skewer and barbecue
- Serve with lemon wedges, (and a cooling yoghurt dip\!)