The Big Boys Curry Book
Mixed Peppers, Colourful stir fried peppers
Another of my own recipes that draws on the typical Keralan style to create a colourful mix of the Mediterranean and India. This is quite simple and can be used as an accompanying vegetable for a larger feast. How long you cook the peppers is entirely up to you. I like mine just on the hard side, some prefer them soft. The longer you cook sweet peppers (capsicum) however, the sweeter they will be. This will serve 3 or 4 people as a side dish or 2 as a main dish.
- 3 small sweet peppers in red, yellow and green, de-cored and chopped roughly
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 10 curry leaves, chopped roughly
- 3 green chillies, chopped.
- 1 tsp. cummin seed.
- 1 tbsp. ghee or oil.
- 1/2 cup of water.
- Salt to taste
- Add mustard seed and curry leaves. Fry until the mustard just starts to crackle
- Fry onion 'til light golden, medium heat
- Add cummin seed and fry on for another 30 seconds
- Add chillies and peppers, fry on for 2 minutes at high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add water and salt, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer. Stir occasionally until peppers are to your liking.