The Big Boys Curry Book
Murgh Makhani, Butter Chicken
Butter chicken is a restaurant classic, originating in Delhi. It is based on using up the remains of the tandoori marinade. This recipe is a domesticated version and is stunning. Serve simply with nan breads. For 4 people. I have made this for 80 people at a time, and in which case you need to reduce the amount of chillies and liquid to retain the shape of the dish.
- 1kg chicken on or off bone as preferred. Cut chicken into manageable chunks.
- 2 cups good quality yoghurt
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped.
- 1/2 inch fresh, chopped.
- 1 tsp mild red chilli powder (kashmiri)
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cummin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala - Hot Spice blend
- pinch tandoori food colour
- 1/2 lime juice
- Puree all the marinade ingredients together.
- Remove skin from chicken and score the flesh. Marinade in yoghurt mixture for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
- Remove skins from tomatoes (place in hot water to enable this). Pulp the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in thick pan and cook chicken, covered, with its marinade slowly until just cooked.
- Add tomato pulp and cook for 5 or so minutes until thickened slightly
- Add butter, chilli powder, ginger and garlic puree and heat through gently until butter has melted. Do not cook butter.
- Add fenugreek powder, garam masala and salt and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cream and stir through for 1 minute. Check seasoning. Serve immediately